Microsoft Dynamics GP in Russian - Microsoft Dynamics Г.П. на русском языке

For the past few months I took it up on myself to produce a translated Russian version of Dynamics GP. What began as fun little project in response to seeing a lot of GP information in Russian on Partnersource, is now showing some remarkable results. I have managed to translate 45% of the string resources and adjust the screens accordingly aided by numerous accounting software books I ordered from Moscow -- and my wife who is from Moscow herself :-) -- to get the proper terms and meaning in place.

Here is a sample of some of the screens (more to come),

Dynamics GP Login Window



Account Maintenance Window



Customer Maintenance Window



Unlike Chinese or Korean, the Cyrilic alphabet is not a double-byte alphabet and can easily be managed by Dexterity. However, this project was met with its own set of challenges when I started the translation process, for example, how to get Microsoft Windows to display Cyrilic characters to begin with. I sorted this out by installing Dynamics GP on a server with a default Russian locale configured. The reason this is important, as I discovered, is because ANSI characters have different values depending on the Windows locale. This way, as strings were translated in my Notepad text file, Dexterity would be able to read and display them in their native format (as long as they were not double byte characters).

For more information on the translation process I used, please take a look at Dave Musgrave's Translating Dexterity Applications Series of articles.

I will provide more information about the progress of this fun project and, hey!, may even consider partnering opportunities. After all, as you all know Dynamics AX is the only Microsoft product being distributed in Eastern Europe.

Until next post!

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Maximum Global Business, LLC
http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com/

Comments

ERPGirl said…
This is fantastic. Are you planning on making it available for sale? Have you done this for any other languages?

Brenda
www.abouttmc.com
Mariano Gomez said…
ERPGirl,

That's my ultimate goal, but first I have to overcome a whole bunch of MS agreement issues around commercializing GP in the Eastern Europe block. I will continue to work on this and get a final version out, but there is no guarantees that MS will agree to allow distribution.

For now, Russian is the only language I am working on, but would love to hear what other languages you have in mind.

Best regards,

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Unknown said…
Translation is bad. Дисконтный период изящества - does not make any sense in Russian. There are so many mistakes. Sorry, you are on wrong track.
Mariano Gomez said…
Vadim,

As with all translated applications, there needs to be a review process for correctness and applicability of terms. Some of the terms you see are literal translations and won't necessarily be accurate. This is where people like yourself, with a critical eye can be valuable to the process.

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancies.

Best regards,

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Sandip Jadhav said…
Mariano,
Did you modified the screen in Modifier and changed the Label ? Because I remember I was trying the same thing for Arabic or you work in Dexterity for Label Change?

Thanks
Sandip Jadhav
Mariano Gomez said…
Sandy,

I used a different method: basically, strings and messages were exported to a text file, translated, and reimported.

Screen sizes were adjusted in Dexterity to effect a permanent change.

Best regards,

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Unknown said…
1) As another poster pointed out, the translation is pretty bad.

2) Russia is considered an Eastern European country.

3) In addition to AX, NAV is a very popular package in that part of the world. In Russia, there are also several local accounting/business packages on top of SAP Business One.

Bottom line: it's an impressive effort, but a pretty long shot in my humble opinion.
Mariano Gomez said…
Serguei,

Much thanks for your input and the observations. Once again and as previously stated:

1) The translation effort conducted so far is experimental and by no means represents a final product. A final translated product would undergo professional revision by language experts to determine the accuracy of the terms.

2) Never disputed this fact and corrected the article to say "Eastern Europe". I believe I made a mistake in my first post rather.

3) You are correct: NAV is also distributed in Eastern Europe along and competes widely with other long established products (Oracle, SAP, BAAN, etc.).

I do appreciate your input however, as I am always looking for ways to improve. Nonetheless, this is an experimental, non-commercial project that has been piece-mealed in my spare time with my basic knowledge of the Russian language.

Spasiba Bolchoi,

MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Herman said…
This is a really impresive effort.

And I can see clearly being some value to it in the Eastern European market.

How is the translation effort coming along?

Popular posts from this blog

Power Apps - Application Monitoring with Azure Application Insights

DBMS: 12 Microsoft Dynamics GP: 0 error when updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 R2

eConnect Integration Service for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010