Somehow, these changes managed to crash and display a message in the Template Processing Exceptions(TPE) window and I ended up with this error:
One or more templates could not be processed. View the exception log for more details.
Well, that was a good start... but, where was the exception log?
Of course, being the well connected individual that I am - Ehem! - I sent this one off to my good friend Rob Wagner over at Microsoft Business Division, who is also known as "The Word Templates God" in some circles. Rob pointed me to a new DEX.INI setting available for Word Templates:
In Rob's own words, "FYI, dex.ini TPELogging=TRUE is used to gather where an exception has occurred. It points the combine process where I will go in and debug the TPE.".
The log is created in the %temp% directory where the actual Word document is rendered and its content looks something like this:
10 hours. 57 minutes.13 seconds. 901 milliseconds. :20050: Combine.Unhandled
TPE was indicating that there was an issue with an exception not being handled when the XML data from Report Writer was being combined with the actual Word template.
This allowed Rob and his team to start tracking down the issue with my template from the source code and provide me with an alternate route to solve my problem.
As a final note, it seems there is an issue as well with TPE not clearing some process after choosing to remove the exception from the Report Processing Status window. In turn, this prevents shutting down GP via the Exit option, having to use the Windows Task Manager to force the termination of the DYNAMICS.EXE process. Rob's team is on this too.
Until next post!
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Maximum Global Business, LLC